May 28, 2009

I'm Stealing It #1

I have only stolen one thing in my life and I remember it as clear as day. I was 3 years old and we were in the pharmacy adjacent to my doctor's office. I was with my mom and I sneaked off and took a red Tootsie Roll lollipop. I remember sticking it into my pocket, crawling into our station wagon and slowly unwrapping down by my side. The wrapper was very noisy and I kept stopping and starting so my mom wouldn't hear it.

I could tell she was getting suspicious and so I stopped opening it altogether. She finally asked me what I was doing.

"Nothing," I said sheepishly.

"Robin, where did you get that lollipop?" She asked accusingly.

"Nowhere" I answered. I really thought I had her on that one. But she wasn't fooled.

We drove back to the pharmacy, she marched me up to the counter and made me tell the man that I took the lollipop without paying for it and that I was very sorry. He seemed like he was 1,000 feet tall and I spoke to my shoes the whole time. My mom paid for the lollipop (I had already licked it, what else could she do?) and we left. I have not stolen anything since that day because it left that big of an impression on me. (Way to go mom! Good parenting!)

Well today that is all changing. In these economic times, things are rough and we all need to get creative so I am going to start stealing like crazy. Forget the morals my mother tried to instill in me, I'm going to start taking things that are not mine.

Okay, it really isn't as bad as it sounds. Since I started blogging I've been checking out other people's blogs and talking to friends, etc. and I'm realizing how many amazingly creative people are out there. In a quest to be a more creative, efficient, loving, organized, healthy, intelligent, earth friendly, mom, wife, and person, I'm going to start taking ideas from other people and somehow incorporate them into my life. I will then share them with in case you want to steal them as well.

So begins "I'm Stealing It." Disclaimer: I will give credit where credit is due certainly but sometimes I might hear an idea and not know where it came from or I might not have asked the person if it is ok for me to use their name, so in those instances I won't name names.

I'm Stealing It #1:

Yesterday my doorbell rang. There stood 3 little girls dressed up in costumes. They are sisters that live down the street from us. The oldest said "Hi, I'm ___ you might remember me from the ice cream social" - she was so cute, how could I not? She handed me an invitation and they were on their way. The invite explained that the girls are putting on a play in their front yard tomorrow. Blankets and refreshments will be provided. The play is the Wizard of Oz and everyone on the street is invited. In case you can't make tomorrow's showing, there will be another one on Tuesday. This is so adorable that my children and I might have to attend both showings.

So here is what I am stealing from this:

1) The whole having a play in your front yard idea for when my kids get older. What a cute and creative way to occupy your children's time during the summer! It is fun for the kids and teaches them a great deal about speaking in front of an audience, practicing something, organization of an event, meeting new people in your neighborhood and so on.

2) Stealing the manners. I thought that was so mature of her to say "Hi, I"m ___ you might remember me from the ice cream social" - This little girl can't be more than 8 years old. I was so impressed with her maturity. Don't know if that one will stick with my kids but it is something I will work toward.

So there you have it, that is what I am stealing right now. I can't wait to see this play. I'm sure somehow one of my children will go crazy and knock over the "set" and then I'll have to steal someone's idea for an apology letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, now talk to me...